Author Topic: Illustration basic technique  (Read 29145 times)

Mangrove

Re: Illustration basic technique
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 07:04:09 AM »
True but if you make any of changes on the same drawing this is not violation of law. This is as you could seen a pretty different then the original- so no violation here. More to say that it is not a problem to make drawing by own but matter of question is how the accurate they could be.

One could se things like that, but the true is the line drawing is 50 % from the finished work... As I have made few pretty high-quality drawings I know much work is involved to it. And after that it isn't nice when somebody just copies it to his profile work.

Mangrove

Offline No.1

• Administrator and Owner
  • Administrator
  • Owner: www.letletlet-warplanes.com
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 08:44:23 AM »
I have made couple of them and published. They became base for all the further drawings and color profile. If you thinnk that your work could be abused- don't publish it. Idea is not to keep but to share al of the knowledge for the mutual benefit. I was put many thing on my web site too and no crime was afected- even more I was allway's asked for the rights to use this materioal.

Mangrove

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 10:06:10 AM »
Idea is not to keep but to share al of the knowledge for the mutual benefit.

I agreed with you, but the point is to make clear to the viewers the base of the profile (line drawings etc.) ins't yours but made by somebody else. I'm not afraid to publish anything, but I would like people to know that the base of the great color profile they have seen somewhere is based to my drawings, wouldn't you?

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 11:38:07 AM »
This conversation is gone deep out of this topic!

As I know it is not in behavior of the illustrator to provide basic info about the source drawing for it'c color profiles. The same color profile fr it self present completely new work, no matter of the base. I could said for this color profile here that it is based on my drawings and data is supplyed from the flight manual of Bf109E where the factory drawings were published. No problem to find photos of this plane for details.

When you publish your material all info provided is then public. It is recomended to any author to provide the references for it's work. I personaly do that. But I could talk only in my name, not in the name of others. If you trace my articles published in various magazines you could not that I provide references for all I do- from base material for scale drawing up to the references for color profiles. It is because I want to feed up reader with complete info.

Things are different when you supply unpublished material. Then you could be in position to place terms of use.

Find out more info at some of the Authors right Agency.

I would like to ask you to close this way of conversation and be more on the same method of art creating.

bogsituacije

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 04:17:39 PM »
Ne razumijem ove likove koji se pojavljuju na forumima i patetično se pozivaju na neke stvari a mislim da ej sve u cilju kako bi pojedinci imali monopol na sve što misle da je njihovo bogomdano pravo. Neznam je li gospodin mangrove razumije srpski jezik, ali vrlo uljudno bih ga zamolio neka pogleda sav sijaset tehničkih crteža koji se mogu naći na netu. Recimo na www.airwar.ru tamo ima masa crteža koji se svrsishodno mogu iskoristiti za izradu inih kolornih profila. Većina tih crteža objavljivana je u pojedinim časopisima ili knjigama ali jdno noraju imati na umu onog momenta kad se to objavi na internetu to postaje "opće dobro". Dakle ovde je stvar po meni bar prilično jasna.
Ne vidim razloga zašto se ne bi viče ljudi uputilo u tajne kreiranja ovakvih kolornih profila jer mislim da bi time cijela naša "populacija" bila bogatija. Ja lično ne bih imao ništa protiv toga da ako ja ikada uradim kakav dobar crtež ili profil taj isti neko drugi iskoristi kako bi unaprijedio svoje vještine.
Usput pohvalio bih tutorial i rekao bih da se nadam da će ih biti još. I mislim da me No1 nije shvatio prije par dana ja Photoshop poznajem poprilično dobro (btw. radim prijelom jedne novine i jako mi je neophodan) i u tutorialu koji je napisan isuviše jednostavno štošta mi je pojašnnjeno. Imat ću par pitanja ako si raspoložen da mi odgovoriš na njih.
Smeta me i što tutorial (iako govorim engleski savršeno) nije napisan i na srpskom.

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 04:49:31 PM »
Eh dragi moj... ja sam moderator na jednom forumu sa 100 hiljada korisnika, posla preko glave, dnevno bacim nekoliko tema, pa jos licne obaveze, pa narudzbine za inostranstvo... stvarno nemam vremena da napisem i na nasem jeziku. Zao   mi je ali tako je.

Prelom stampe i priprema grafike zastampu je skroz druga prica ali daje coveku bitnu osnovu da moze da razume neke stvari. Tako ja nisam piaso npr. da treba cesto da se snima, precica Ctrl-S, i slicne stvari jer racunam da to vec treba da se zna.

Da ne gnjavim mnogo pitaj sta god treba, tu sam.

bogsituacije

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 05:04:21 PM »
Ma sve ok! Kad stignes odgovaraj nije hića. Naime bavim se ja radom u photoshopu i nije mi nimalo stran hajde reimo neka bolja sredina. Inače radim u QuarkXpressu i InDesignu i jako su dobri za moj posao dakle DTP i to rasturam :-). Sve ono sto si u tutorialu napisao radi ko vekerica jedino mi je podosta nejasno poglavlje oko panela i sjenčenja. Naime kod iscrtavanja panela zanima me na kom layeru treba da iscrtavam panel (da li na prvom ili da kreiram novi layer) i 3 pixela mi se čini poprilično debelo bar na mom crtežu. Daje možda je glupo pitane treba li posebne layere za sjene i osvjetljenja. to je ono što me interesuje za sad. Koliko god glupa pitanja bila znam da te pilam ali zaista bih volio savladati ovo sve imam u planu raditi profile upravo pokušavam uraditi ME 109 E3 jkrv Milutina Grozdanovića pa ako mi uspije postavit ću ga koliko god bude kvalitetan. Hvala.

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 05:33:07 PM »
Senke su u posebnom sloju, zakovice u posebnom, kopce u posebnom i paneli u posebnom. Kad ih sve zavrsis onda iskljucis sve slojeve osim njih i onda pritisnes Ctrl-Shift-E i od njih napravis jedan sloj. tri piksela nije mnogo ako ti je profil lovca dug jedno 400 milimetara.

Inace batali Kvark, mislim da ga je kupio Adobe i In Dizajn postaje vodeci za grafiku i prelom. Doduse Pejdz mejker ce se jos boriti al pitanje kolko dugo.

bogsituacije

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 06:42:06 PM »
Da ovo za Quark si u pravu i mogu ti reći da InDesign ima čitav niz naprednijih i moćnijih alatki i opcija te mi je jako koristan pri izradi naslovne stranice za moje novine. Međutim Quark mi daje mogužnost rada i na slabijim mašinama koje prevladavaju iako ja imam ljudoždera od kompjutera. No da te ne davim time.
Probat ću kući ovo što si mi napisao da vidim kako će da reaguje HVALA!

Offline divanov

• Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2007, 12:07:24 AM »
Allow me to participate in this small school of Photoshop :-red? Well, there is one very usefull command (in my humble opinion) when working with selections - Save selection in Select meny. When you make selection, with this command you can save it and use it every time you need it, no matter in what layer you are currently working. After two weeks of work on profile or something alse you may find some details unsatisfying. Will you try to select same detail again? No, just Load selection from Select menu and - voila, there it is. It also saves size of the file since adding many layers increase it very fast and then working in Photoshop becomes waiting for Photoshop. Try and experiment - you'll see.

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2007, 11:44:57 AM »
Let’s see some advanced method of the panels on the airplane art. In the previous post is described how to make this panels and this is dedicated to the persons with no skill at all in the aviation art but as I said basic level in the Photoshop is necessary.

One of the most important tools is Pen. We call it from the keyboard by pressing of P. There are few Pen tools but we need Pen tool, not Free Pen tool. When we get it some panels are changed and in the top panel we now see option for this tool. Watch at the left arrow- it is pointed on this panel. You will see three small marks for Pen tool work regime. We have pointed and selected the middle of them by click on it. This work regime create path which we will use. Left of this create vector path and automatically create new layer. On the right side is regime where path stay in the same layer where we work but the path is filling with color. To repeat- we need regime which is in the middle icon. Then we are creating paths which are in the same position and shape as the panels on the actual object. Making of path is easy- click on one side and finish it on the other side. 
There is show strait but also curved shape can be made. It is important to create a bulk of path but you will be faced with problem- active paths. When you make one path which present panel on airplane you will have to make another and problem is that this panel is not connected with previous. Photoshop does not know how the panel looks on the airplane and next point you make will be connected with previous, from panel before. How to stop this? Simply- when you make one panel and want to make another one you have just to move Pen cursor some out side and hold ctrl and left click on the canvas field. Path you have just created is deselected. You will see just some tiny lines, and you will make the rest of the paths. Important- when you make the last panel then you again repeat deselecting method.

And did I have to tell you that you get to have separate layer for panels only?

Before you go into the making panel creating stoke you have to make some preparation with brushes. Take brush but this has to be airbrush. Brush gives to sharp edges and this does not look very real. In the airbrush the edge of stroke is soft and this looks much better. 
Set the opacity 100%, color must be black and diameter not larger then 4 pixels... this depend to the actual size of your art.

If the brush is set you have to take again your pen tool and make solution with right click. When you make right click you will get drop down menu and from this menu you have to choose option Stroke Path. Then you will get the panel as you see on image 2. What you have to do is to take Brush tool and you take it from drop down menu. By default there is Pencil tool [I never use it BTW]. Also note small label down on the left side- Simulate Pressure. 
This will make that your path disappear at the end point and this you don’t need. If you have set all as see on this image then click OK. Panels are created. There is possibility to make additional adjustment on this layer where panel lines are. To do this just simply looks at the bottom of the Layer panel. Second from left is the icon which indicates Layer Style. You have to note that Layer Style and Layer Behavior are not the same. So click on the Style icon and see the drop down menu. In this case we will take Outer Glow. Outer Glow is very important method of indicate the shape and dynamics of the panels and must say that menu artist use it in not just proper way. Why? I noted that many of them use black or very dark grey to spread around the panels and this is basic omission. 
The same panels are on the real airplane plates of metal or another hard material and their edges have a highlight and this is oppose from the dark as you know. The same panels we are drawing actually do not exist- this is just a gap between two panels. So when working panels try to note this.

On the last image is the Outer Glow panel which jumps in front of us and maybe scare some of us. When I have seen it first time, some three years ago I have click on cancel, turn of Photoshop and feel very desperate. But it is so easy. Follow these steps and enjoy.

Take attention just on the fields indicate with red ellipse, the rest you will learn later... a lot of experiment you have to do. First thing you have to change is the color. This is the second mark on image. Click on it and you will see panel with color. Choose white color. Click OK and return to this panel again. Now watch up- Opacity. By default it is 75% and I have reduced this, in this sample 45%. This will see changes on the image you are working in the moment. Also reduce size of the Outer Glow and I have taken it from 5 pixels to the 4.

In the Quality section you have to take shape of this glow. Click on it and try it- I use default but maybe some other will better fit what you are doing. And last thing you have to set is to reduce range of the glow.

As final result this will be array of panels with soft outer glow in lighter color.

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2007, 12:48:34 PM »
Continue the story about the panels. Problem begins when we introduce shadows and highlight in our art. This is coming in separate layer and above all of the previous layers. This is in a reason that it has to give influence to the previous layers as well with layer with panels. But then will happen something we don't want- panels will get shadows too and they could not have it. This is gap hole and it is dark. So there is more work to make it more realistic.

So back into the Panel layer and click on it to become active. Then right click on it and take option Duplicate layer. This will make new layer, identical to the original. This copy of layer clicks and pulls it above the layer with shadows. One thing you don't need any more is the layer Style. When layer have style you will see this in the layer filed and this is indicate on image 3. Take click on this layer and drag it to the Trash been at the bottom right corner of the Layer panel.

If you have done all of this you will still has not very realistic panels. This is because they are too visible and now there have to be reduced their visibility. Set top panel layer 40% [as you see on image 4] and the lower, which is under shadow, on 80%. This value varies and this is just instant suggestion.

In general you have now created panel lines with their full intensity. But more work still has to be done.

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2007, 01:07:42 PM »
Final work belongs to the stroke over the panel edges. This will give closer impression to the light fall over the surface and better denote shape and structure. First you have to know from where is light coming. Then in regards to this you can make these highlights.

First create new layer and call it... see the image. This layer coming over last panel lines layer, never under!!! Make paths in very close distance to the panels and then make stroke path. For stroke path use brush, size 1-3 pixels, opacity 15% and color is white.

Final result is down there ;)

Offline No.1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LetLetLet - Warplanes
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2007, 05:36:23 PM »
The same situation is with the bolts. There is two layers. Image present more live version of the art with bolts added. And the final image is just to test your imagination... final technique to finish this is the method used to paint grass, plants, hair... and this is the most important stage of your art- imagination and feeling  :-wise

Offline santynus

• http://www.fw190.altervista.org
    • View Profile
    • focke-wulf Fw190 & other aircraft
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2007, 10:54:24 PM »
very interesting tecnique  :-obey :-clap :-wave